View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 BCS Anniversary 

Celebrating the future anniversary of this album !
Share your favorite song here or on Twitter
#BCSFAV

Spread the word :D

* BIG CITY SECRET
* GOOG ABOUT ME
* BIRTHDAY CARD

@LonelyAstro / @JArtkron

ARTKRON

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:55 am
Profile WWW

~
Tough choice, but it's got to be "Birthday Card" for me!

@junkyard_h
ARTKRON :: The Joseph Arthur Chronicles @JArtkron

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:28 pm
Profile WWW

Nice H :D :D
Thanks !

@LonelyAstro / @JArtkron

ARTKRON

Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:08 am
Profile WWW

BCS is filled with fantastic songs and I've always regarded it as a very special album. It's also the first Joe album I heard, the first song I heard was Mercedes, so I have some great memories associated with the record.
The production makes it sound unlike anything else I know, and I love it. But I also feel that the production brings a strong outside influence to the music, as the live versions of the songs tend to sound quite different. Songs such as Crying Like A Man and Good About Me have a great album sound, yet their breathtaking live versions feel like the way these songs really should sound.

My absolute favourite album track is Porcupine. Not a lot of live versions are known, he performed it a couple of times in a very different and strange chaotic, noisy manner, which is fun but I definitely prefer the album version in this case. He played it once more in one of those special Montreal shows in 2010, where he finally performed it as a gorgeous acoustic piece. It's a truly wonderful beauty!

Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:39 pm

Big City Secrets is a fantastic debut album and one I was fortunate to hear very early in its life having bought it on release (I'd seen Joe at WOMAD in 1996, so was anxiously waiting to get something by him at the first opportunity). 8)

Whenever I compile a Best of CD for a new fan I always include Mercedes and Good About Me so I guess my favourite track is one of those two - today I choose Mercedes. There's just something infinitely alluring about this song: its production, the lyrics, the hook, the harmonica. And I love the fact that Joe always mentions who he wrote the song for - which is always a nice moment in his live shows. :D

I could with another contemporary artist making that sort of impression on me these days. It feels like its been years since I discovered something new of real merit out there. :?:

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:52 pm

Nice review by PASS THE AUX

Quote:
Arthur was the first signee to Peter Gabriel’s Real World Records, and he didn’t disappoint with his debut. The album featured a unique variety of instrumentation...

@LonelyAstro / @JArtkron

ARTKRON

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]