View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Joseph Arthur + Danny Clinch collaboration (photos / art) 

~

On 4th of July 2014, Danny Clinch posted a photo on twitter/instagram (and Joseph RTed) showing a photo of Willie Nelson that Joseph had painted on.

Joseph wrote in 'Notes from the Road' about painting on a portrait of Willie Nelson ...
Willie - 3292007

... and a collaboration with Danny was mentioned in a Newsday interview from 2007

'The FedEx guy brings an unexpected surprise from famed rock photographer Danny Clinch, with whom Arthur is collaborating on some new paintings. Arthur rips open the packaging and pulls out 3-foot square, striking photos of Bj"rk, Tom Waits and Johnny Cash that Clinch took and that Arthur will paint over. Arthur recently completed one of Willie Nelson that may be displayed at the gallery opening [MOMAR]. "These are awesome," he says, holding the Bj"rk one up for further inspection. "I can't wait to work on these." He puts it down, knowing he will have to wait a bit to start yet another project.'

I think the Willie Nelson work that was posted is probably the one from 2007, but it could be a newer version or a sign that the collaboration might become an active concern again ... !!

The "before" version of Danny Clinch's portrait of Willie is HERE

Attachments:
JA_DannyClinch_collab.jpg
JA_DannyClinch_collab.jpg [ 110.58 KiB | Viewed 1509 times ]

@junkyard_h
ARTKRON :: The Joseph Arthur Chronicles @JArtkron
Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:27 am
Profile WWW

~

Well, the earlier collaboration with Danny Clinch is mentioned in their 'Nothing To Talk About' podcast Ep. #8, at around the 2hr 11min mark and they do talk about starting on it again. So the piece could be from this year, although the description in the 2007 NFTR does seem to fit the treatment of Willie's portrait. I'm still minded to think this piece was done in 2007.

I have a vague idea I've seen one of these DC/JA collabs previously - does anyone else remember anything or have I dreamed that?!

@junkyard_h
ARTKRON :: The Joseph Arthur Chronicles @JArtkron

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]