View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Joseph guests on Paul Hartnoll album 

On May 28th ACP Recordings presents The Ideal Condition, the solo album from Paul Hartnoll - his first major release since he and his brother disbanded their group, Orbital, three years ago. What evolved, whilst recalling the cinematic sensibilities and crowd-shaking rhythms of Paul’s earlier work, is a collection of songs that takes those instincts and moves them into new and at times experimental terrain.

With arranger Chris Elliott, Paul set about reversing the usual process - whereby electronic music might mimic the sounds of traditional instruments - and presented his compositions to an orchestra. The fruits of this union-full orchestra, 32 piece choir and “the whole compliment of electronics” are heard to dramatic effect on the album’s opener, ‘Haven’t We Met Before,’ “the fullest track on the record in terms of the amount of people playing on it and number of different parts.” It’s a deliberately grand opening and one that contrasts with later songs like ‘Patchwork Guilt,’ “the only track on the album that’s entirely electronic and entirely played by me.” Between these extremes The Ideal Condition takes a remarkable journey into the realms of the possible while also recalling the familiar aspects of Paul’s previous recordings. “This album’s got a lot of film influences on it,” says Paul, “all the old favourites the Michael Nymans, the John Barrys, Ennio Morricone, and you can hear a lot more of Danny Elfman on this one, I think. But it still finds its way back to the rhythm. I’m always trying to find a harmonic or melodic narrative - if you like going with the emotional side of it - and then as soon as that starts happening it’s like a gut instinct I can’t stop myself thundering in with the drumbeats. I almost do it for fun. Sometimes I manage not to, but I bet you on all the ones where I’ve managed not to I’ve tried it and it didn’t work!” When “the emotional side” wins out the results, like the almost “synth-free” composition for strings ‘Dust Motes,’ are extraordinary. More remarkable still is that The Ideal Condition is an album where such songs sit comfortably with the punkish electronic squall of tracks like ‘Aggro.’

One attribute Paul carries over from his Orbital days is his nose for a great collaborator. Guests on the album include The Cure’s Robert Smith on the forthcoming single “Please.” In addition to Metro Voices choir vocal contributions are also present from U.S singer songwriter Joseph Arthur (“Aggro”), Brighton’s Lianne Hall (“For Silence”) and South London’s Akayzia Parker (“Nothing Else Matters.”)

From what Paul calls the “Boadicea moment” of the album’s opener to the “steam driven synthesiser” of “Simple Sounds” via the old school electro of “Patchwork Guilt” and the neo-classical coda of “Dust Motes”, The Ideal Condition is a vivid testament to the scope and sensibility of one of modern music’s most innovative and resourceful minds.

For more information see -> Paul Hartnoll myspace <-

The Ideal Condition track listing:

HAVEN'T WE MET BEFORE
FOR SILENCE
SIMPLE SOUNDS
PLEASE
THE UNSTEADY WALTZ
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
PATCHWORK GUILT
AGGRO
DUST MOTES

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:53 pm
Profile WWW

There's a mention of the track that Joseph appears on in a blog (in Hungarian)

this is normal : Paul Hartnoll - The Ideal Condition
.... Az egyetlen kemény dal a 8-as Aggro, melyet az amerikai Joseph Arthur dalol és leginkább Suede, Primal Scream és korai David Bowie hatásait érzhetjük rajta. Emlékezzünk csak Bowie korai Ziggy korszakára és a Marson tipegésére, apró kis rövidnaciban!!! ....

Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:42 am
Profile WWW

it is available for pre-order now.

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/CART/3-/33 ... =0&cur=258

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:43 pm

I think it's time for some title associations... :wink:

While I believe that "aggro" is a term in the famous multiplayer online game World of Warcraft, there's actually another thing I think of first: In Germany, "Aggro" has become inseperable from the infamous (and at least as embarrassing as successful) gangster rap label AggroBerlin (as in 'aggressive').

I only hope the song is good. Your associations? :?:

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:42 pm

You can now listen to samples of tracks from The Ideal Condition and pre-order the digital release here ....

7digital - Paul Hartnoll - The Ideal Condition

(this site shows the final artwork for the album)

Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:27 pm
Profile WWW

Some slightly longer samples of the tracks are now available here ....

junorecords - Paul HARTNOLL - The Ideal Condition

Fri May 25, 2007 10:58 pm
Profile WWW

You can listen to complete songs on his homepage. The quality is rather bad, though, but it gives an idea of the complete track...

Sat May 26, 2007 2:47 pm

There is a feature about Paul Hartnoll and the album, The Ideal Condition, in The Sunday Times.
Joseph gets mentioned in this short extract

.... The human element also appears in the form of several guest vocalists – four of the nine tracks are songs – including the American singer-songwriter Joseph Arthur and the Cure’s Robert Smith. Their working practices differed slightly. For Aggro, Hartnoll sent the music to Arthur in New York, and Arthur sent back six interlocking vocal tracks. Hartnoll sent the music for Please to Robert Smith and heard nothing back at all. Six months later, Hartnoll had given up on Smith. He was already mixing the album when he finally got an e-mail: “Just found this. Am I too late?” ....

marco wrote:
You can listen to complete songs on his homepage. The quality is rather bad, though, but it gives an idea of the complete track...

Good spot! His website seemed to have little on it and didn't seem to get updated very often, so I didn't think to check back there. Well that's my excuse! :wink: I was playing the track to have a listen to the lyrics (although the website seems to be down temporarily, hope it wasn't me what broke it :cry: )

Sun May 27, 2007 2:12 pm
Profile WWW

(although the website seems to be down temporarily, hope it wasn't me what broke it :cry: )

Seems like he found out that people started listening to his music and he had to pull the plug, or two listeners already killed the bandwidth... :?

Tue May 29, 2007 12:23 am

From a review of The Ideal Condition in IndieLondon
And Joseph Arthur’s haunting delivery is perfectly suited to Aggro, another of the songs that immediately impress.

Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:09 pm
Profile WWW

i didn't know that Aggro was co-written by HArtnoll and Joseph Arthur.

i don't like the cd very much
but i can say Aggro is a great song
(i'd like to put it in a compilation near the Bowie song "Breaking Glass".)

Joseph's vocals are simply great.

Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:32 am

i didn't know that Aggro was co-written by HArtnoll and Joseph Arthur.

That's interesting - thanks for the info. I had been wondering about this when I was listening to the lyrics ....

Quote:
but i can say Aggro is a great song
(i'd like to put it in a compilation near the Bowie song "Breaking Glass".)

Joseph's vocals are simply great.

You're not the only one to pick up on the Bowie link :)

A review in tastyfanzine also mentions Bowie in relation to Joseph's vocals on the track

..... Akayzia Parker guests on the unashamedly upbeat feel good track of the album, 'Nothing Else Matters' which will surely be snapped up as some TV show theme very quickly. This contrasts really nicely with the pulsating slightly deranged vibe of 'Aggro' where Joseph Arthur guests on demented vocals which are immersed in superbly contorted sax breaks and snarling synth parts. It must be the sax and the vocal intonations because even beneath all those electronics there's a hint of Bowie at his very finest.

The album closer and calm after the storm is 'Dust Motes', an orchestral arrangements which waxes and wanes, builds and recedes, layers and strips down....

Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]