View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 bag is hot - new JA blog 

After the first time I listened to LJB I never thought I'd ever say this, but I've come to prefer the 20 minute version..! However, I greatly appreciate the existence of both a long and a short version.

Bag Is Hot often fills me with emotions I never knew existed. But I keep wondering about things like the recording times of the songs. For example: is I'm In Your Life a shelved recording from 2002, or a recent recording of a song Joseph re-discovered himself? Several BIH-recordings sound like they were done some years ago... but it's hard to be sure. Some additional info would be nice.

Mon May 19, 2008 1:54 pm

After the first time I listened to LJB I never thought I'd ever say this, but I've come to prefer the 20 minute version..! However, I greatly appreciate the existence of both a long and a short version.

Bag Is Hot often fills me with emotions I never knew existed. But I keep wondering about things like the recording times of the songs. For example: is I'm In Your Life a shelved recording from 2002, or a recent recording of a song Joseph re-discovered himself? Several BIH-recordings sound like they were done some years ago... but it's hard to be sure. Some additional info would be nice.

I admire you for liking (nay, prefering) the 20 minute version and I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on its merits, although my only real problem with it is those difficult 8 minutes in the middle - but please if you haven't got it, track down the live version from Paris I mention a lot on here. Its such a brilliant performance which a real nice atmosphere about it - it has a swishy-come-phaser feel to it if that makes sense? If I was do someone a best of Joe CD as an introduction that version would be on it.

As for the age of the BIH tracks - it's a question I've already posed on here and no-one seems to have any insight into whether these are old songs recorded at the time or re-done ones. I suspect the former for those songs we can date, and certainly some of the other stuff is much more recent by the invovlement of JT for one, other LA's presumably on One By One. But listen to his voice on Sideways and its very reminiscent of the style adopted for things like Posion Flowers making me think it's from that period.

I wonder if So Far Away and Sideways infact come from the sessions in June 2002 at Graham Pattison's studio that should have resulted in the follow up to Redemptions Son, an album that was to have been called She Speaks to Ghosts? I know that from speaking to both Joe and Graham at the time this was a firm plan and the idea was to record an album very quickly - in a week or so - but for some reason - probably to do with the Real World deal going tits-up - it never materialised.

Let's hope he spills the beans soon.

Mic

Mon May 19, 2008 4:06 pm

I have searched high and low through my computers file inards and connot, for the life of me, find any mp3s in the temp files. If anyone has any tips or can just email me the most recent two tracks (Sideways and Lonely Astronaut) please PM me. Thanks.

Mon May 19, 2008 4:19 pm

I have searched high and low through my computers file inards and connot, for the life of me, find any mp3s in the temp files. If anyone has any tips or can just email me the most recent two tracks (Sideways and Lonely Astronaut) please PM me. Thanks.

You will need to use Internet Explorer, Brian. Then click on "Tools | Internet Options | Temporary Internet Files | Settings | View Files" to open the IE cache folder. Sort by size and whatever songs / videos have made it into your cache will be at the top. This also works with YouTube. All you have to do is copy the file to your desktop and rename it with the proper extension.

Mon May 19, 2008 4:26 pm

You will need to use Internet Explorer, Brian. Then click on "Tools | Internet Options | Temporary Internet Files | Settings | View Files" to open the IE cache folder. Sort by size and whatever songs / videos have made it into your cache will be at the top. This also works with YouTube. All you have to do is copy the file to your desktop and rename it with the proper extension.

Thank you!!

Mon May 19, 2008 6:07 pm

Mon May 19, 2008 6:10 pm

Man, the new version of LA is absolutely incredible. I really dug the live version, but now after hearing this I think this takes the cake. Seriously, is there another artist anyone can think of that is as prolific as Joseph Arthur? He records more songs in a week than most people do in a career. I am so glad I'm such a big fan of his. Bliss.

Tue May 20, 2008 12:52 am

I love the giant billboard projection of Jo's head and the accompanying poem on bag is hot. I also like the family portraits - wonder whose family they are and where do Alien One and Two sit with the others???

My current faves from the bag list are Fading and Still Life Honey Rose.

Another option for downloads is Real Player - click on the track and it offers you the option to download!

Charliex

Think I'll fall in love with you

Tue May 20, 2008 6:45 pm

There's an amazing new song on! Call - musically it reminds me a bit of Marmelade Eyes.

Interesting that it starts with the line 'Pick Up The Phone'; History's original name... it doesn't have much in common with History though.

By the way, Angela, thanks for explaning this temporary files trick so well, it's so useful!! You wrote it also works with Youtube videos; what should be the extension then?

Sun May 25, 2008 8:52 am

By the way, Angela, thanks for explaning this temporary files trick so well, it's so useful!! You wrote it also works with Youtube videos; what should be the extension then?

They are FLV files.

Sun May 25, 2008 7:17 pm

Reborn is really beautiful. 2 in one day. Shiny.

Mon May 26, 2008 8:00 am

Reborn is really beautiful. 2 in one day. Shiny.

Been away so will check out tonight.

Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Another new song - All the Old Heroes - has been added this evening. 7 mins of acoustic bliss!

Check it out!

Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:59 pm

Bliss indeed! This one's incredible!!! There is a bit of a demo-ish feel to it, I wonder what some extra production could do for this song.

Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:06 pm

Anyways, it's been such a treasure chest already that I wouldn't dare to complain if it stopped.

Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next