View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Arthur Buck - articles / interviews 

Primary

* Peter Buck, Joseph Arthur Reveal 'Spontaneous' New Band, Arthur Buck ROLLINGSTONE

Others

* R.E.M.’s Peter Buck and Joseph Arthur announce new band, Arthur Buck, debut album out later this year CONSEQUENCESOFSOUND

* Peter Buck, Joseph Arthur Team Up For New Band, Arthur Buck PASTEMAGAZINE

* Joseph Arthur and Peter Buck Partied in Mexico and Then Started a Band Called Arthur Buck SPIN

* Joseph Arthur And Peter Buck Form New Band Arthur Buck STEREOGUM

* Peter Buck Forms New Group With Joseph Arthur Called Arthur Buck DIFFUSER.FM/

* Meet Arthur Buck: R.E.M.'s Peter Buck teams up with indie artist Joseph Arthur in new duo WBOW

* Joseph Arthur, Peter Buck Create Arthur Buck Band, Sign With New West CALIFORNIAROCKER

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:31 am
Profile WWW

A nice explanation on the creation of the group...on primarytalent.com

"Sometimes, the catalyst for creating great art is simply being in the right place at the right time. For Arthur Buck, the new collaboration between singer-songwriter Joseph Arthur and guitarist Peter Buck, that place was Mexico, and that time was the fall of 2017..."

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:37 am
Profile WWW

I'm going to try to track the major Arthur Buck interviews here - most have already been linked on the main AB thread, but this just consolidates them on one thread. I'll try to focus on the main ones and avoid ones that don't add much that's new. For now I'll just link to them (right click on links to open in a new tab/window).

If I've missed some or if you find a new one in print copy then please drop me a line!

~~~~~~~~

Peter Buck made some brief mentions of the project in his November 2017 Salon interview:

(...) "I met Joseph Arthur in Todos Santos and we wrote this group of songs, played them at a bar there, and then we drove to Los Angeles and played them at his [art] opening. It felt like, okay, I'm bringing something living out of this death and sadness. I guess that's what my life has always been about — life's sad, and being able to touch some of that in your heart or your soul or whatever it is, and bring it out in some way. I don't know if it makes the world a better place, or makes me a better or happier person. It worked, whatever it was."
(...)
On my little road trip to Mexico, I got a text that said, "Hey, it's Joseph Arthur. I'm in town," in Todos Santos. He showed up with this guitar and his backpack and goes, "Hey, can I stay here?" I was like, "Yeah," and we wrote an album's worth of songs in three days, performed them in a club on Thursday night. He's coming up here Thursday to polish 'em up and finish a couple more and then go into the studio Saturday to put down good demos for the beginning of the record in November. I think Tchad Blake's doing it."

The Arthur Buck band announcement and first published interview appeared in Rolling Stone in Feb 2018

Rolling Stone

Peter Buck, Joseph Arthur Reveal 'Spontaneous' New Band, Arthur Buck
By Sarah Grant - February 15, 2018

How a lost guitar and chance meeting in Mexico brought the R.E.M. guitarist and Grammy-nominated singer together

Please follow lonelyastronauts.com on social media
Twitter: @LonelyAstro
Instagram: @lonelyastronauts_com

@junkyard_h: Twitter / Instagram

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Profile WWW

~

The first in-depth Arthur Buck interview is the one at Primary Talent (^^above).

This formed the Official Bio for the band
(probably compiled in Feb/Mar 2018)

https://www.arthurbuckmusic.com/about/

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:31 pm
Profile WWW

~

This NPR interview accompanied the premiere of Arthur Buck's first single & video "I Am The Moment"

NPR

Joseph Arthur And R.E.M.'s Peter Buck Hold Onto Music For Survival
By Ann Powers - April 11, 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:45 pm
Profile WWW

~
Two short interviews were released for the premiere of second single & video "Are You Electrified?"

Rolling Stone

Joseph Arthur, Peter Buck Wander Through Oregon in ‘Are You Electrified?’
By Suzy Exposito - May 2, 2018

Independent (UK)

Peter Buck and Joseph Arthur team up for 'Are You Electrified?'
By Roisin O'Connor - 2 May 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:53 pm
Profile WWW

~
Another two interviews were published with the premiere of the third single "Forever Waiting" and announcement of Arthur Buck tour dates for September 2018

Billboard

Peter Buck & Joseph Arthur Explain Their 'Impromptu' Band Arthur Buck, Premiere 'Forever Waiting'
By Craig Rosen - 5/15/2018

Under The Radar

Arthur Buck (Joseph Arthur + R.E.M.‘s Peter Buck) Share “Forever Waiting” and Announce Tour
By Christopher Roberts - May 15, 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:05 pm
Profile WWW

~
Peter Buck briefly chatted about the project to BBC 6 Music News in a segment that aired on the Shaun Keaveny Breakfast Show

BBC 6 Music

REM's Peter Buck talks to Clare Crane about his new project Arthur Buck (audio, 4mins)
17 May 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:18 pm
Profile WWW

~
Joseph gave an interview on "Kyle Meredith With..." which is presented by Consequence of Sound and Louisville's 91.9 WFPK

Kyle Meredith With... Arthur Buck (Interview) (audio, ~17mins)
Published on May 20, 2018

Kyle Meredith With...
Joseph of Arthur of Arthur Buck

Joseph Arthur talks to Kyle Meredith about Arthur Buck, his new project with R.E.M.'s Peter Buck. They discuss how the collaboration came to fruition and deep dive into songs including "I Am The Moment", "Are You Electrified", and "Summertime". Arthur also talks a bit about his next solo album.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:50 pm
Profile WWW

~
Peter Buck gave an interview to KEXP as part of their "Music Heals" series

Music Heals: Peter Buck on His New Project Arthur Buck, Addiction, and Recovery
by Owen Murphy - 05/24/2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:57 pm
Profile WWW

~
The following interview was published in Classic Rock magazine

Arthur Buck
“Focusing on music might be a lifesaver for both of us,” R.E.M. man Peter Buck says of his new old-pals project.

29 May 2018

Peter Buck and Joseph Arthur have known one another for nearly 20 years, ever since meeting up at a tiny club gig in Seattle. Ohio singer-songwriter Arthur even opened for Buck’s band R.E.M. when they toured Europe in the early noughties, and Buck has guested on a number of Arthur’s projects. But it’s taken the two of them until now to collaborate in earnest as Arthur Buck, and in June release a selftitled album that fizzes with electronica and instinctive guitar riffs. We caught up with both of them to find out more.

So how did this collaboration record come about?

Joseph Arthur: About a year ago I was staying in Mexico at a friend’s house in Todos Santos. It’s a sleepy town. I knew Peter runs a music festival there, but had no idea he was around. It was bananas how it worked out. He was like: “Let’s go play the Todos Santos Inn.” Then I went to his place and never left.

Peter Buck: We’ve known each other for a billion years, but we’ve never really written songs together. We didn’t have anything prepared, it was just happenstance that we were in the same town in the same week.

What do you remember about the writing process?

Arthur: I was already working on a new solo album, and I thought: “I’ll get Peter Buck to play on it.” But he suggested we do some writing together, so we jammed around with one of my ideas for about five minutes. A couple of days later we had five or six really good songs. We’d accidentally found something that was just a groove.

Buck: The more spontaneous for me, the better. I really like to get thrown in at the deep end. The good thing about collaboration is that the person you’re working with pushes it in directions you wouldn’t have normally taken. I tend to be a little more formal about construction of songs, whereas Joe is way more used to working with electronic stuff.

On a thematic and musical level, the album seems to strike an upbeat tone.

Arthur: It’s easy to brood and write dark lyrics, but I wanted to give a positive vibe and provide some uplifting energy. I want rock’n’roll to be alive and dangerous and meaningful and rebellious. In a certain way there’s a survival-from-trauma aspect to the songs. I’m aware of how hokey that stuff can sound, but I think these songs pull it off.

Buck: Not to get too specific, but Joe and I have been going through similar life stuff in the last few years. When we get together, we talk about how we’ve dealt with various setbacks and things. I want my life to be fulfilling and authentic and really pushing forward. I don’t want to be one of those guys who allows himself to get fucked up just because he’s done it all. I haven’t done it all. I still have things I want to do. I think we both feel that focusing on music might be a lifesaver for both of us.

“I want rock’n’roll to be alive and dangerous and rebellious.”

Is Arthur Buck likely to be just a oneoff record, or do you think there will be more to come from the two of you?

JA: We’re already about six songs into the next record. One of the new ones reminds me of the Grateful Dead’s Touch Of Grey. We just fell into this thing, and it’s surprisingly good every time we try it.

It’s like an unexpected gift.

Arthur Buck is released on June 15 via New West Records.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:08 pm
Profile WWW

~
The fourth single "American Century" premiered via Consequence of Sound and Joseph and Peter explained some of the motivations and influences that led to the track’s creation.

Consequence of Sound

Arthur Buck (Peter Buck and Joseph Arthur) share the Origins of new song “American Century”
By Lake Schatz - May 31, 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:02 pm
Profile WWW

~
Joseph gave a detailed interview to Loring Kemp for Creative Loafing

Creative Loafing

Life’s Rich Demand: Joseph Arthur begins again with ‘Arthur Buck’
By Loring Kemp - June 7, 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:33 pm
Profile WWW

~
An Arthur Buck interview appeared in Record Collector, July 2018 edition (481)
- available to subscribers/in print

Record Collector

https://recordcollectormag.com/articles/arthur-buck
July 2018

REM guitarist Peter Buck and acclaimed musician Joseph Arthur have joined forces for a new project called Arthur Buck. And, they tell Tim Peacock, they’ve never found it so easy coming up with songs.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]